Gillian is available to travel to nursing homes throughout Ireland. She currently visits the residents at nursing homes on a monthly basis to ensure they are meeting their nutritional requirements and discuss any other nutritional issues with nursing staff that may crop up. Consultations with Gillian include liaison with nursing home residents, families, nursing and catering staff, GP’s and community services as necessary.
Gillian has the clinical expertise to give nutritional advice in the following areas:
- Nutritional Screening Training for the Elderly (MUST) to assess those at risk of malnutrition
- Providing advice on the importance of good nutritional intake to promote recovery, such as ulcer or wound healing
- Providing nutritional support if required, where appetite is poor, weight loss and oral nutritional supplements are needed
- Modified texture for diets and/or fluids for those with swallowing difficulties
- Calculating nutritional requirements and reviewing tube feeding (PEG) regimes, including advising on correct feeds and volumes to use for artificial feeding
- Giving patients dietary advice if they have raised cholesterol, diabetes or other dietary needs
- Review of the food provision service at nursing homes on request, such as menu evaluation, meal fortification
- Nutritional updates or education sessions to families, nursing and kitchen staff to ensure that meals and snacks provided are nutritionally adequate and acceptable
Gillian also works in partnership with CATTS (Clinical Assessment & Therapy Services). As a team, they can provide services for Dietetics, Speech and Language Therapy and Occupational Therapy where needed. Joint recommendations are essential in helping to speed the patient’s recovery process and optimise the lifestyle of those living in residential care homes.
Note: Consultation fees can be partially reimbursed using private health insurance or tax relief.